Halle's Blog

Just another wannabe writer

Always Smiling~Intro

September8

Intro June 2007

She smiled. She smiled when she died. She smiled when I told her I loved her. She was always smiling. I think that’s what Jessica wanted to be remembered for: smiling. Her father said at the funeral that he didn’t remember a time she didn’t smile. But I do. 

It was July 7, 2006. I had been dating Jessica Barton for 8 months. I was with her—when she stopped smiling. It was when the doctor diagnosed her with breast cancer. Her face got all pale and her bright green eyes seemed to fill up with tears though none came and that smile that was always plastered on her lips disappeared, completely. They said they were doing everything they could. They said her chances weren’t good.

“J,” I had started but my throat dried up before I could go on.

“Oh, Travis,” she had whimpered. I just hugged her and stroked her back like she was a small child and kept murmuring words of kindness. What else was I suppose to do? Say it was all okay and she’d live a perfectly normal and healthy life? I couldn’t. I wouldn’t. Jessica could see through my empty promises better then anyone. Maybe that was one of the reasons I loved her so much. She could read me like a book and never judged me for what she read. “I love you.”

And with those three words I had made up my mind: I would do what ever it took to help Jessica, to prove that it could get better, that the world wasn’t over. I shaved my head, I went to the hospital each and everyday, I tried to constantly smile. I really think that’s what she would have wanted. To see me always smiling, even when I felt like screaming. And now I understand why she always smiled. It makes you feel good, it makes everyone feel good.

So maybe that’s why Jess smiled when she died, because she wanted everyone to be happy. She didn’t want people to cry over her, she didn’t want them to sob over her death. She died with a smile on her face because she knew it was her time. She knew that fate was calling her. And she went. 

by posted under Fun. | 9 Comments »    
9 Comments to

“Always Smiling~Intro”

1. September 12th, 2013 at 1:25 pm      Reply laurenp546 Says:

I loved this story. Is it a real event, a part of a book or something that you have written.
    I am trying to write a book myself, but I think that yours is a whole lot better, I got transported into this story’s plot.

• September 12th, 2013 at 3:45 pm      Reply halleg573 Says:

Thank you! It’s actually the intro to a book I’m attempting to write. I’d love to read your story sometime. I’m sure it’s amazing! I’m glad you liked it.

2. September 13th, 2013 at 1:25 pm      Reply laurenp546 Says:

Can you please post some more of it.

3. September 13th, 2013 at 1:39 pm      Reply miac520 Says:

This made me emotional, great work!

4. September 16th, 2013 at 9:36 am      Reply haleyr244 Says:

After the first sentence I was sucked in, I read this while I was in the computer lab it was so hard not to tear up, people were looking at me funny!I would love to see another chapter!

• September 16th, 2013 at 11:20 am      Reply halleg573 Says:

Thank you darling! I’m so glad you liked it. It is sad. That was the intro. The first chapter has been posted. Hope you like it. Thanks for the comment.

5. September 16th, 2013 at 1:23 pm      Reply kyleb536 Says:

That’s amazing!!! Every word of this story tugged at my heart. I love it.

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar